21 replies to this topic

#1 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

(And I guess, by extension, the Executioner and such)

I understand that right now, MASC is off the table of priorities. I sniffle a little bit, but understand.

That said, I remember the D-DC coming in with 3 tons of paperweight in the form of Command Console, and the Warhawk coming in with a paperweight TC. (Though that was brief.)

What if:
PGI built the Shadow Cat..complete with the placeholder MASC, but in the initial coding, made the MASC removable in order to add things in its place? Then, once it is functional, hardcode it back in. (Strip all S-Cats, Fire Moths, Executioners, and such for the patch..similar to how you removed consumables.)

I would happily remove some deadweight MASC compared to not having my favorite Omni.

#2 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

Well, I'd rather have the Ice Ferret replacement after the Ice Ferret. :)

#3 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 19 September 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Well, I'd rather have the Ice Ferret replacement after the Ice Ferret. :)

Turns out, you are getting the Ice Ferret!

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 September 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

I understand that right now, MASC is off the table of priorities. I sniffle a little bit, but understand.

That said, I remember the D-DC coming in with 3 tons of paperweight in the form of Command Console, and the Warhawk coming in with a paperweight TC. (Though that was brief.)

What if:
PGI built the Shadow Cat..complete with the placeholder MASC, but in the initial coding, made the MASC removable in order to add things in its place? Then, once it is functional, hardcode it back in. (Strip all S-Cats, Fire Moths, Executioners, and such for the patch..similar to how you removed consumables.)

I would happily remove some deadweight MASC compared to not having my favorite Omni.

Been saying this for ages.

I am Alistair Winter and I support this message.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

What if:

Its a best of a bad case situation.

#6 Honiara

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Someone the other day suggested exactly this on or merc corp Teamspeak, and I thought then that it was a good idea.

Clearly other people think the same. For this reason I think the OP has a good point and releasing these mechs with a 'paperweight' would be a good idea

Edited by Honiara, 19 September 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#7 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

This could also apply to the Flea. (Though I think that would remain soft coded as Upgrade...darn IS.. they have the real Omnis!)

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Sure. In some ways, it can benefit the mechs, even. Trade 2 tons of MASC for 2 tons of armor on a Firemoth? DONE!

#9 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

+1

One's of my nick I use to play for fun is "I want a shadowcat", so guess....

edit: and you know what... every match I find 2/3 guys saying "yea, I want that tooo!"

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 19 September 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#10 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

What if:

We won't see it until the battle of Luthien in 3052, that's canonically the first time IS units encountered it.

#11 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

just forget about masc altogether and release the mechs that use them as is. If it makes sense, maybe give them a slight speed boost over what the math says they should have.

#12 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 19 September 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

We won't see it until the battle of Luthien in 3052, that's canonically the first time IS units encountered it.

When do we see the King Crab? (Sitting in Comstar's Basement until Tukayyid.)

(Also, HGN-732 was a very rare beastie indeed.)

#13 Vagabond HT

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:55 AM

You won't see the shadowcat untill at least 3052, but it was not added untill the TRO:3058 along with the Kodiak,Hunchback IIC. They have mention that they have been looking at the TRO for what mechs they can add and if it meets the 3 var/Config rule. Specialy since they have only been looking at the 3050 TRO atm. i mean we won't see the Kingfisher for a while either same TRO.

View PostLivewyr, on 19 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Its been in the TRO since 2750 -3050

Edited by vagabond The Scot, 19 September 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#14 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

sarna.net said:

Still, by the end of the Third Succession War a mere handful of King Crabs were still in active service with the Great Houses.[6]

6.0 6.1 6.2 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 278-279

Rare is not quite the same as nonexistent.

#15 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

not jumped for joy over MASC tbh, its going to create some amount of lag if useful.
much rather medium and light all round speed increase, since I presume any increase will add to the server.
guessing MASC from turning on and off would add more calculation then a speed increase.
not my subject, more of a 1+1= a window kind of person

#16 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

Aye 'tis a good point well made. This idea has been bandied around since the Flea was shelved for lack of MASC and I support it as much now as did then.

#17 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 19 September 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Rare is not quite the same as nonexistent.

True, however the Shadow Cat has existed, according to BT, since 3003.
The King Crab existed (rare Lostech) in the Inner Sphere, but not in sufficient numbers to be noted other than "existing." It is known they sat underneath Comstar facilities and did not come out into the open (Lore-wise) until the ComGuards were deployed to Tukayyid.

---------------------------
(And for that matter, the nature of this invasion is changed by PGI... Clans overwhelmed the IS because the machines were awesomely overpowered comparatively. Perhaps the Clans, knowing they do not have such an advantage will commit more Mechs to the initial invasion...including the S-Cat? ;) )

Edited by Livewyr, 19 September 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#18 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

As i have noted before, MASC doesn't need to be a pure speed enhancement, it could be turned to something else like acceleration and maneuverability (turn rate, torso twist, arm speed) booster, with small boost in speed, with a cap (say 10kph boost, and cannot go above 140kph or so).

#19 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 19 September 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

As i have noted before, MASC doesn't need to be a pure speed enhancement, it could be turned to something else like acceleration and maneuverability (turn rate, torso twist, arm speed) booster, with small boost in speed, with a cap (say 10kph boost, and cannot go above 140kph or so).

While that is a possibility -and a clever way to add it in now- I would honestly wait for a MASC that functioned as close to its design as possible. (Perhaps as 10 second burst with 30 second soft cooldown, 8% chance of "Jam" -freezing the mechs legs for 6 seconds or so- on the first run, and if you activate it again before 30 seconds is up, the chance goes to 16%, then 32% or something like that numbers are placeholders.)

But either way, I want my Shadow Cat right Meow.

#20 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 September 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

While that is a possibility -and a clever way to add it in now- I would honestly wait for a MASC that functioned as close to its design as possible. (Perhaps as 10 second burst with 30 second soft cooldown, 8% chance of "Jam" -freezing the mechs legs for 6 seconds or so- on the first run, and if you activate it again before 30 seconds is up, the chance goes to 16%, then 32% or something like that numbers are placeholders.)

But either way, I want my Shadow Cat right Meow.

Do note my suggestion includes those, being temporary effect with some risk, just instead of pure speed it would do something else too. It is after all "myomer acceleration signal circuitry", and accelerating a mech's muscles will boost other things than just its speed too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users